Thursday, October 8, 2009

Forging Ahead

This morning I am still a bit under the weather but I am up and ready to write. I’ve had soup, Theraflu and will sip tea after that. My schedule is to write from 10-2 but I am ready to start now so here I go.

Last night was rough. I was not feeling well at all so my progress was slow. I read over what I wrote the night before and made some corrections but I was unable to branch off into another part of the book. It was a frustrating night. I felt like I really should have gotten much more accomplished. However, the past is the past. Today can, and will be totally different.

Jonah Dubois, Gabrielle’s husband grows up in a fictional town in northern Quebec called St. Noel Chabanel. St. Chabanel was a Jesuit missionary who worked to convert First Nations people to Catholicism. I chose that particular saint because he was murdered by a First Nation person. This is important to me because Jonah’s brother Cody essentially is undone by the First Nations-French-Canadian divide that simmers and comes to a head during the Referendum that threatened to tear Canada in two.

My goal is to create a section of the novel based on Jonah’s childhood that somewhat parallels Gabrielle’s childhood. The goal, in case I have not been clear about this before, is to show how no matter where we grow up or who we are, we have common experiences that can bring us together. There are universals that connect human existence. So, now that I have a good chunk of Ewald Circle draw out, I am moving on to St. Noel Chabanel. Let’s see how it goes…..

No comments:

Post a Comment