Monday, June 23, 2014

Publishing an ebook is fun, but tedious. The formatting is not terribly difficult, but if you get any of it wrong, your ebook will have issues. One of the interesting things about this process, is that strangers and associates have supported my writing more than my friends and family. My good friends Greg, Kurt, and Brian are exceptions to this rule. Greg pounded the electronic pavement by posting, and re-posting the link to How Changing My Thoughts Changed My Life: A Story of Rebirth and Awakening, Brian and Kurt reposted the link. My friends Mark and Colleen also bought the book immediately. However, after being stuck at five sells for a few days, I changed the retail price to free. After that, the numbers went up, but I am still not satisfied with the numbers.

Earlier on in the month, I posted an announcement for publication, but the 50+ people who said they would be interested, have not resulted in downloads. Of course, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, since a large portion of family and friends are not interested, because they don't read, or because the ebook format is undesirable in their eyes, I am encouraged to reach out to the community.
My first stop will be my local library. I would like for the library to stock my ebook in the electronic files, and I would like to have an author meet and greet. Reserving a room is free, and I know a few people in the community who could help spread the word. Sometimes it is easier to get strangers on board than it is your loved ones. In the meantime, while I peddle my book for free, I will continue working on Who She Was: A Chelsea White Mystery.

The Utah Arts Festival starts next Thursday. By that time, I hope to have small flyers with the URL, book cover, and a short explanation printed and ready to go. I know I can make a flyer on my computer. I just have to be patient, and put in the hours it takes for me to translate Word instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment