Monday, October 5, 2009

Day One: Over and Done

I’ve figured something out. The parts of the novel that focus on Detroit are not bad, just incomplete. The hatred that I needed to write those parts was in the past and I used it very well. However, now as my life moves further and further into a loving, happy place, I am able to write about happiness and the good parts of growing up in Detroit. Never underestimate the value of getting older.

So it turns out that there were glints of light and hope in the midst of a dying city. There was as much kindness and as many good people as there was evil and mean people. Even today there are people that try to make Detroit a nice place to live. It is easy to focus on the bad because that is all we see of Detroit. The benefit that I have is that I have been there. I had great experiences there and I know that there are people that are just plain good living on the streets of that city. So it is my challenge to show both the good and the bad.

I made great progress today. Although I had a few moments of distraction I was able to write and really get into the narrative. Suddenly, even after one day of having a schedule of some sort I feel like this feat is totally doable.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is doable for you and you will do it!! Thanks for sharing the process with us. Thinking of you and wishing you well.
    Carol Kappus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    Thanks for reading! Writing can be quite an isolating event. I have found that even one week of really focusing on writing has pushed me into a very introspective place. Of course that is good but I do feel very isolated and at times, lonely. Blogging is kind of my way of reaching out and communicating with the world. Hours of writing means hours alone. Right now, the computer is my connector so thanks for meeting me half way!

    Hope all is well!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete