I was a weight loss consultant for three years. The key aspect to that job is the belief in things not seen. Every week I would meet with people and whether they lost weight or not I had to believe that they could and would. It was not until I was getting ready to leave that I began to see how important it was that I believed my clients could be successful. At the end of the day it was up to them to lose the weight but often, they needed me to believe that they could before they could embrace their own power.
This morning I woke up without any difficulty. I was in front of the computer and I worked on the section of the book I was working on last night. It is a difficult part that I have debated about taking out or leaving in. It could be a part of another book. However, last night as I lay tossing and turning I realized that it was part of Lives Lived. This morning it was clear how to connect the scene to the rest of the book. As I mentioned before, I love to draw parallels and the scene I am working on is a direct parallel to another scene that I have literally been dreaming about. Now I have a project for this evening already lined up! Great!
Last night in the midst of writing and I started to get tired. I was sitting in a pile of paper balancing previously written scene and my computer on my lap. Whenever I am in the middle of a scene and I feel like I have written it better at some other time, I panic. I start digging through the piles of paper around my apartment trying to hunt the better written work down. Sheer panic takes over. Last night as my eye grew heavy I found myself in that state. I did not want to go to bed even though I was exhausted because I was afraid that I would not be able to get up in the morning and get anything done. Feeling defeated, I decided to check my email one last time and call it a night.
I was surprised to see that an old client had sent me an email. It was short and sweet but it made all the difference. She said that she hoped that I was getting enough time to work on my novel and that she had as much belief in my writing as I had in her weight loss. I read that twice, then a third time. This was a client that I spent many an hour with (our consultations were only supposed to be twenty minutes) planning, plotting and discussing her eating habits. In the beginning I will admit, have even admitted it to her, that I did not have much faith in her success. I would dread her coming in because I felt like I was wasting my time. Then, after several months of this struggle she stopped coming in. I was so happy. When she returned she requested to see me and I almost pulled my hair out.
Well, as with anything in life, you can choose to find the positive or the negative aspects in anything. This time around I really listened to what was going on with her weight situation. This time I believed 100% that she could do it. Suddenly she started taking responsibility and my job got easier and easier. She was doing it on her own but she needed to know that I had faith in her before she could get in touch with her own power.
After I read the email from her I closed the computer and went to bed. This morning I woke up without any trouble. It is my journey but it helps to have people around me that have faith in my abilities. This morning I am especially thankful for that. The moral of the story: Believe, believe, believe. Belief makes things true.
No comments:
Post a Comment